Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Five years jail for stealing a bar mat.. Is it too harsh?


An Australian mother Annice Smoel, 36 was arrested for allegedly stealing a bar mat at a Phuket bar.

"She has received legal advice that suggests that if she is found guilty of night-time theft in Thailand, she faces two to five years' imprisonment," lawyer Brendan Murphy said.

Smoel maintained that she is innocent. "I explained to them that I am innocent but they said that the Thai Government hasn't decided that yet. Until I've been to court I haven't been proven innocent,'' Smoel said.

This is such a petty crime that I cannot believe that she could face up to five years in jail if convicted. I hope that the Thai judge will have good senses and consider that fact that no one is hurt in this incident and acquit her.

Read the rest of the story here…

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

blogger templates | Make Money Online